Sleeping in a Cave and Flying a Hot Air Balloon
Never in a million years would I have thought I would be sleeping in a cave and flying a hot air balloon…but I did. This unforgettable experience happened two years ago in Cappadocia, Turkey with two of my traveling buddies, Melissa and Maria.
Where exactly is Cappadocia?
How did we get there? We flew in Turkish Airlines from Istambul to Nevsehir Airport. The flight was an hour and a half.
Where did we stay? At probably one of the better hotels in Cappadocia: Arif Cave Hotel in Gerome.
We landed late at night in Cappadocia and the check-in to the hotel was a bit of a challenge because the gentleman that was at the reception cave (this definitely was not a reception desk) spoke very little English and no Spanish.
The following morning our day started at 4:30am. One of the most popular attractions in Cappadocia is the hot air balloon rides. They happen every morning before sunrise, weather permitting. If the weather conditions are not proper, your ride gets cancelled. Luckily for us, we had perfect weather and an unforgettable experience at Kapadokya Balloons. Check out my YouTube Video and the pictures bellow.
Things to know before adventuring into your first hot air ballon ride:
- Book your ride ahead of time. I used Kapadokya Balloons but there are plenty of others. Rarely can you find discounts, but it doesn’t hurt to ask specially if you are traveling in a group.
- Go to bed early the night before and make sure to set your alarm because if you are not there on time….they will not wait on you.
- Check the weather. Your trip can get cancelled if the weather conditions aren’t the the proper ones. So plan to stay at least two days in the city were you are taking the hot air balloon just in case it gets posponed.
- Unless you are booking a private ride, you will most likely be with a group of people. Take with you only the essentials: ID, a light jacket and a camera (or your phone). Bags, coats, backpacks, etc. are unnecessary and inconveniente since you will have very little room to move.
- Make sure to charge your camera or phone to take plenty of pictures and share them on social media using #TravelersontheGo to be featured in @MaityontheGO 🙂
Coming soon in www.MaityontheGo.com