Curiosities of St. Patrick’s Cathedral in the heart of New York
New York is one of the most visited cities in the world offering a number of things to do, know, and learn from the city of never sleep. But one of my favorite places and that I can not miss is the Cathedral of Saint Patrick.
Here some curiosities of the largest Gothic cathedral in the United States:
- They delayed 21 years building this cathedral that was inaugurated in the spring of 1879.
- More than five million people visit the cathedral every year.
- The cathedral covers a whole block, has a capacity to seat 2, 400 people and its highest bell tower measures 330 feet.
- The organ that accompanies the choir in each mass, was replaced in my 1930 and has 7,855 tubes.
- The cathedral has 21 altars, one for each saint, and 21 bells that ring at different times.
- Eight archbishops have been buried under the main altar.
- Every day between 4-8 Masses are celebrated and it is estimated that there are around 150 weddings a year.
- Admission is free and is open from 6:40 am to 8:45 pm every day.
More information click here.